Welcome, bloggers and other GIPC'ers working on the 5k wellness challenge!

This blog is for anyone interested in increasing their wellness, especially those who want to take on the 5k challenge. You define the nature of that challenge -- run, jog, walk. Maybe your goal is to jog 1 mile rather than 3 , or simply to walk regularly. That's great, too. Anything you do that gets you off the couch! (Remember to check with your physician before undertaking any new exercise.)

Check in here for support and join the conversation. There will be a generic item posted every day so that you can post comments on topics of interest related to the challenge. Questions, comments, tips, exciting discoveries or achievements? Record them here for community response. Looking for a walking or jogging partner? Post it.

If you are on the home page, click on the notation "x Comments" to go to a page where you can post your item. If you click on the posting for the day as listed on the Archive on the right side of the page, a Comment box will show automatically, as will all the comments previously made.

Let's take ourselves out for a spin and see what we can do!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday, January 31 -- Training plans

No matter what your ultimate goal is, having a plan to get there is key. But anyone reading this blog knows that. For the very first 5k I entered, I did no prep. The result was a very speedy lesson in the value of training. I went about 100 yards at a jog before my legs and my breathing failed me. I walked most of the rest of the way, a humbler person. The next event I did, I trained for a month, and things went much better. I had a strategy for the entire race and plans to handle things if they went other than expected. My time was only a little better, but the experience overall was a quantum leap better, more satisfying in so many ways.

S0 ... sign up for the C-2-5k. Plan to walk or plan to run. Set your sights on the 5k (3 miles) or enjoy strolling the one mile course. Look up training plans online or ask around. Practice with a friend, outdoors or inside. On March 19th, come to the church by 8am. Bring your fans to cheer you on. Make your overall goal to finish with a smile. Then stay for breakfast.

Great plan!

1 comment:

  1. Getting out of Michigan in January is one way to be able to train outdoors without concern for ice and snow. Yesterday I ran up a Hollywood hill - it was a struggle. The reward was running down - almost flying. I've been enjoying the balmy weather in California - but just one more day now. Tomorrow I'll be back to the winter wonderland, providing the expected storm allows re-entry.

    ReplyDelete