Welcome, bloggers and other GIPC'ers working on the 5k wellness challenge!

This blog is for anyone interested in increasing their wellness, especially those who want to take on the 5k challenge. You define the nature of that challenge -- run, jog, walk. Maybe your goal is to jog 1 mile rather than 3 , or simply to walk regularly. That's great, too. Anything you do that gets you off the couch! (Remember to check with your physician before undertaking any new exercise.)

Check in here for support and join the conversation. There will be a generic item posted every day so that you can post comments on topics of interest related to the challenge. Questions, comments, tips, exciting discoveries or achievements? Record them here for community response. Looking for a walking or jogging partner? Post it.

If you are on the home page, click on the notation "x Comments" to go to a page where you can post your item. If you click on the posting for the day as listed on the Archive on the right side of the page, a Comment box will show automatically, as will all the comments previously made.

Let's take ourselves out for a spin and see what we can do!

Monday, January 17, 2011

January 17th Just a little bit

It occurred to me that there was a time I tried to walk/jog and I failed. I failed because I thought I had to do it faster and farther than I was capable. What made the difference for my success was setting goals that were obtainable on a daily bases. I started walking 1/2 mile then 3/4 to reach one mile, then I slowly added more distance and then I added a tiny bit more speed. I felt good and was proud each day I could accomplish just a little bit more. Today those little bits have added up to miles but I still remember the day I celebrated the 3 mile mark. Honestly It was a greater feeling than the 1/2 marathon I completed. I didn't believe I could ever jog 3 miles and once that was accomplished I knew with dedication any distance could be possible with the proper training.
"proper training" words of wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment